New ISO Candidate Published August 2022 – Flusulfinam: New herbicide candidate from Qingdao Kingagroot Chemical Compound Co., Ltd., China
Suflufenam (generic name: Flusulfinam; trade name: Daopurui®) is the latest generation of HPPD inhibitor herbicide for paddy fields independently developed by Qingyuan Agricultural Crown. Weeds and some broadleaf weeds, sedge weeds, both stem and leaf, soil activity. Different from other HPPD inhibitor herbicides, it is extremely safe for rice, and there is no difference in the safety of japonica and indica. The first product containing this core ingredient will be launched in China in 2023 under the Daopurui brand.
- STATUS: ISO 1750 (provisionally approved)
- IUPAC NAME: 2-fluoro-N-(5-methyl-1,3,4-oxadiazol-2-yl)-3-propylsulfinyl]-4-(trifluoromethyl)benzamide
- CAS NAME: 2-fluoro-N-(5-methyl-1,3,4-oxadiazol-2-yl)-3-propylsulfinyl]-4-(trifluoromethyl)benzamide
- CAS RN.: 2428458-82-4
- FORMULA: C14H13F4N3O3S
- ACTIVITY: Herbicides (unclassified)
- NOTES: Mixture of 80-100% of the 3-(R)- enantiomer and 0-20% of the 3-(S)- enantiomer.
- INCHIKEY: PWQIRGHRDYHXJS-UHFFFAOYSA-N
- INCHI: InChI=1S/C14H13F4N3O3S/c1-3-6-25(23)11-9(14(16,17)18)5-4-8(10(11)15)12(22)19-13-21-20-7(2)24-13/h4-5H,3,6H2,1-2H3,(H,19,21,22)
Flusulfinam is effective in controlling weeds of the plant rice (such as indica rice, japonica rice), gramineous weed (such as rice barnyardgrass, Qianjinjin, barnyard grass, horse tang, Setaria), broad-leaved weeds (such as gazania, wild mushrooms, velvetleaf, amaranth, chickweed), sedge weeds (such as sedge, fireflies).
Flusulfinam is specifically effective in controlling weeds species including monocotyledons: annual oats, rye, grass, hordeum, ferraris, barnyardgrass, crabgrass, foxtail and sedge, and perennial ice Grasses, bermudagrass, chrysanthemum and sorghum, and perennial sedges.
Flusulfinam shows good selectivity to grass lawns such as Zoysia japonica, bermudagrass, tall fescue, bluegrass, ryegrass, seashore paspalum, and can control many key types of grass Weeds and broad-leaved weeds. Tests on wheat, corn, rice, sugar cane, soybean, cotton, oil sunflower, potato, fruit tree, vegetable, etc. under different application methods also showed excellent selectivity and commercial value.
Qingdao Kingagroot Chemical Compound Co., Ltd., China filed an international patent covering Flusulfinam in 2020 (WO2020108518) and the company also filed three other patents (WO2021078174A1, WO2021093592A1, and WO2021139482A1) covering composition and method of use of Flusulfinam.
Other Developments from KingAgroot in the agrochemical discovery segment
KingAgroot officially released the three newest patented herbicidal compounds and their common names, expected to be commercialized around 2025
Recently, KingAgroot Innovation Center officially released the Chinese common names of three newest patented compounds, namely溴噁草松 (xiuecaosong, code name KAI-172402), 噁唑草啶 (ezuocaoding, code name KAI-162573), 甲氧嘧草肟 (jiayangmicaowo, code name KAI-177022), indicating that the development of the third wave of KingAgroot’s patented compounds has officially strode forward from R&D pipeline to commercialization, and these products are expected to be registered and launched in China around 2025.
KAI-172402, the newest DOXP-inhibiting herbicide with both foliar and soil activity, is suitable for many crops such as wheat, rice, soybean, cotton, garlic, peanut, watermelon, oilseed rape, cabbage and various crops, and has selectivity for a wide range of crops and flexibility in subsequent crop planting. It can effectively control key resistant weeds such as Italian ryegrass (Lolium multiflorum), cleavers (Galium aparine), speedwell (Veronica polita), giant chickweed (Myosoton aquaticum), wild oat (Avena fatua), Barnyardgrass (Echinochloa crusgalli), black nightshade (Solanum nigrum), redroot pigweed (Amaranthus retroflexus) and purslane (Portulaca oleracea), and has no cross-resistance to other currently-existing mainstream herbicides, thus it is a powerful resistant weed management solution.
KAI-162573, the newest PPO-inhibiting compound, is a contact non-selective herbicide with ultra-high activity. Only several grams per mu is needed to achieve excellent activity against resistant horseweed (Erigeron canadensis) and goosegrass (Eleusine indica). As the newest burndown herbicide, this compound is characterized in low temperature tolerance, broad spectrum and void of weed resistance. The compound is also applicable to crops with PPO-resistant traits, therefore it is a powerful resistant weed management solution.
KAI-177022, a new-generation synthetic auxin herbicidal compound, exhibits effective control effect on resistant speedwell (Veronica polita) in wheat as well as broadleaf weeds such as triquetrous murdannia (Murdannia triquetra), heartshape false pickerelweed (Monochoria vaginalis), alligator weed (Alternanthera philoxeroides), dayflower (Commelina communis), wandering Jew (Commelina bengalensis) in rice and corn. It is a powerful resistant weed management solution Since there is no cross-resistance to ALS, PPO and PSII inhibitors.
The commercialization of KAI-172402, KAI-162573 and KAI-177022 will offer more thoroughly, safe and efficient weed management solutions to global farmers, thus effectively saving the cost of crop planting and contributing to yield sustainability, agricultural production growth and world food supply. By doing this, KingAgroot is taking a solid step in becoming the engine of global agricultural biotechnology innovation.
So far, KingAgroot has commercialized four patented compounds, namely Cypyrafluone, Bipyrazone, Tripyrasulfone and Fenpyrazone. In April 2022, another three novel patented compounds KAI-141012, QYNS101 and QYR601 granted for registration in Cambodia. That’s the first registration of these three compounds globally and they are expected to be commercialized successively in China from the end of 2022 to 2024.
By 2025, KingAgroot is anticipated to have more than ten novel patented herbicidal compounds and will fulfill its commitment of “re-inventing herbicides”. At that time, KingAgroot may become the company possessing the largest number of on sale patented herbicidal compounds in the world. Releasing the three newest patented compounds once again demonstrates that KingAgroot’s resolution of dedicating itself to herbicide field and powerful R&D capability.
For more updates: Sign in to Websites for Agrochemical & Pharmaceutical Databases:
Website: https://www.chemrobotics.com/ (Agrochemical Databases)
Website: https://chemroboticspharma.com/ (Pharmaceutical Databases)
- AgroPat Lite– Access 5500 pesticides with chemistry, Biology, Regulatory, and IP info. Covers the product information including formulation, combination, developer, innovator, existing intellectual property, regulatory requirement, biology data including spectrum, MOA, DFU, toxicity profile, and safety. (Designed for Business Development function)
- AgroPat Ultimate– In detail Access 5500 pesticides with chemistry, Biology, Regulatory, and IP info. (Designed for Research & Development function)
- Indian Medicine Database –Approved Drugs, Medical Devices, Approved Regenerative Medical Products
- Weblink: https://imd.chemrobotics.com/
- Indian Pesticide Database (IPD)– All Indian Approvals, e.g. 9(3) and 9(4), etc.
- Global Agro Product Directory(More than 55countries approved product info. with relevant documents such as label, factsheet, and monograph)
- Weblink: https://www.chemrobotics.com/agrochem/global-agro-product-directory
- Global MRL Database(More than 85 countries MRL info.)
- Jarvis– A Competitor Patents Watch Database for Agrochemical
- Technical Routes(More than 15000 routes of synthesis for Agrochemical & Pharmaceutical)
- Technical Suppliers(Provides technical supplier information)
- Company Directory– KSM Supplier(s) Database — More than 10 K Companies are listed in Pharma / Agrochemical / Fine Chemical Domain with their product offering in Pharma / Agrochemical / Fine Chemical segment,
- ChemRobotics SPC Database– Provides Patent SPC data in Europe
- PharmVetPat –Access chemistry including ROS, KSM, Intermediate, Biology, Regulatory, and IP info for all pharm molecules.