- On September 1, 2022, Novo Nordisk and Forma Therapeutics revealed that Novo Nordisk would buy Forma Therapeutics for for $1.1 billion.
- With the purchase of Forma, Novo Nordisk now has access to the company’s inventory of sickle cell disease (SCD) and rare blood drugs, including etavopivat, its top development candidate.
- The deal is anticipated to be finalised in the final quarter of 2022.
Etavopivat is a once-daily, investigational oral, specific pyruvate kinase-R (PKR) stimulator that is being created to help SCD patients with anaemia and red blood cell health. In accordance with a company press release, it stimulates the natural PKR activity of red blood cells to lower tiers of the metabolite 2,3-diphosphoglyceric acid. This is intended to help sickle haemoglobin hold onto oxygen for a longer period of time, which will reduce polymerization, hemolysis, and sickling. It is currently being studied in a global Phase II/III trial in SCD patients and a Phase II trial in SCD patients who require transfusions as well as those with thalassemia, another genetic hemoglobinopathy.
For more than 40 years, Novo Nordisk has fought to create and provide patients with rare and fatal diseases with transformational therapies. In a news release from Novo Nordisk, executive vice-president and head of rare illness Ludovic Helfgott stated, they are taking a step ahead in expanding their sickle cell disease pipeline by integrating Forma’s differentiated strategy to meet unmet requirements for patients. They hope to create a market-leading portfolio of medications that will address both the symptoms and fundamental causes of sickle cell disease.
According to the press release, Frank D. Lee, president and CEO of Forma Therapeutics, the announcement is indeed an important milestone that accelerates Forma’s aim to enhance the lives of people with sickle cell disease and other critical haematological disorders.” “To maximise their impact for sickle cell patients all over the world who urgently require new treatment choices, Novo Nordisk will work very closely with the sickle cell community. They are excited to collaborate with Novo Nordisk to improve innovation, accessibility, and care quality for patients while acting as a dependable partner for their communities.
About Novo Nordisk
Novo Nordisk A/S is a Danish multinational pharmaceutical company headquartered in Bagsværd, Denmark, with production facilities in nine countries, and affiliates or offices in five countries. The Novo Nordisk Company’s logo, a bull with a sun disk between his horns, is based on the Egyptian deity Apis.
Novo Nordisk insulins have been present in India from 1935 marking more than 80 years of uninterrupted supply. The India arm started operations in 1992 with its headquarters in Bengaluru. We now have over 1.300 employees, and are the 5th largest and one of the fastest growing pharmaceutical MNCs in India.
- AgroPat Lite– Access 5500 pesticides with chemistry, Biology, Regulatory, and IP info. Covers the product information including formulation, combination, developer, innovator, existing intellectual property, regulatory requirement, biology data including spectrum, MOA, DFU, toxicity profile, and safety. (Designed for Business Development function)
- Weblink: https://www.chemrobotics.com/agropat-lighter/
- AgroPat Ultimate– In detailed Access 5500 pesticides with chemistry, Biology, Regulatory, and IP info. (Designed for Research & Development function)
- Indian Medicine Database –Approved Drugs, Medical Devices, Approved Regenerative Medical Products
- Weblink: https://imd.chemrobotics.com/
- Indian Pesticide Database (IPD)– All Indian Approvals, e.g. 9(3) and 9(4), etc.
- Global Agro Product Directory(More than 55countries approved product info. with relevant documents such as label, factsheet and monograph)
- Weblink: https://www.chemrobotics.com/pesticides-directory/
- Global MRL Database(More than 85 countries MRL info.)
- Jarvis– A Competitor Patents Watch Database for Agrochemical
- Technical Routes(More than 15000 routes of synthesis for Agrochemical & Pharmaceutical)
- Technical Suppliers(Provides technical supplier information)
- Company Directory– KSM Supplier(s) Database — More than 10 K Companies listed from Pharma / Agrochemical / Fine Chemical Domain with their product offering in Pharma / Agrochemical / Fine Chemical segment,
- Weblink: https://companydirectory.chemrobotics.com
- ChemRobotics SPC Database– Provides Patent SPC data Europe
- PharmVetPat –Access chemistry including ROS, KSM, Intermediate, Biology, Regulatory, and IP info for all pharm molecules.
- Weblink: https://chemroboticspharma.com/pharmVetPat