- Terlivaz is the first and only FDA-approved treatment for adults with HRS involving rapid reduction in kidney function.
- Terlivaz is expected to be available in the U.S. in the coming weeks.
Mallinckrodt (OTCMKTS: MNKPF), a global specialty pharmaceutical company, today announced that the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approved Terlivaz® (terlipressin) for injection. Terlivaz is the first and only FDA-approved product indicated to improve kidney function in adults with hepatorenal syndrome (HRS) with rapid reduction in kidney function, an acute and life-threatening condition requiring hospitalization.
- API – Terlipressin
- Description-Terlipressin is an analogue of vasopressin used as a vasoactive drug in the management of low blood pressure. It has been found to be effective when norepinephrine does not help. Indications for use include norepinephrine-resistant septic shock and hepatorenal syndrome
- Class –Antidiuretics; Antihaemorrhagics; Vasoconstrictors; Vasopressins
- Mechanism of Action –Vasopressin receptor agonists
INDICATION AND LIMITATION OF USE
TERLIVAZ is indicated to improve kidney function in adults with hepatorenal syndrome with rapid reduction in kidney function.
· Patients with a serum creatinine >5 mg/dL are unlikely to experience benefit.
IMPORTANT SAFETY INFORMATION
WARNING: SERIOUS OR FATAL RESPIRATORY FAILURE
- TERLIVAZ may cause serious or fatal respiratory failure. Patients with volume overload or with acute-on-chronic liver failure (ACLF) Grade 3 are at increased risk. Assess oxygenation saturation (e.g., SpO2) before initiating TERLIVAZ.
- Do not initiate TERLIVAZ in patients experiencing hypoxia (e.g., SpO2 <90%) until oxygenation levels improve. Monitor patients for hypoxia using continuous pulse oximetry during treatment and discontinue TERLIVAZ if SpO2 decreases below 90%.
TERLIVAZ is contraindicated:
- In patients experiencing hypoxia or worsening respiratory symptoms.
- In patients with ongoing coronary, peripheral, or mesenteric ischemia.
Warnings and Precautions
- Serious or Fatal Respiratory Failure: Obtain baseline oxygen saturation and do not initiate TERLIVAZ in hypoxic patients. Monitor patients for changes in respiratory status using continuous pulse oximetry and regular clinical assessments. Discontinue TERLIVAZ in patients experiencing hypoxia or increased respiratory symptoms.
Manage intravascular volume overload by reducing or discontinuing the administration of albumin and/or other fluids and through judicious use of diuretics. Temporarily interrupt, reduce, or discontinue TERLIVAZ treatment until patient volume status improves. Avoid use in patients with ACLF Grade 3 because they are at significant risk for respiratory failure.
- Ineligibility for Liver Transplant: TERLIVAZ-related adverse reactions (respiratory failure, ischemia) may make a patient ineligible for liver transplantation, if listed. For patients with high prioritization for liver transplantation (e.g., MELD ≥35), the benefits of TERLIVAZ may not outweigh its risks.
- Ischemic Events: TERLIVAZ may cause cardiac, cerebrovascular, peripheral, or mesenteric ischemia. Avoid use of TERLIVAZ in patients with a history of severe cardiovascular conditions or cerebrovascular or ischemic disease. Discontinue TERLIVAZ in patients who experience signs or symptoms suggestive of ischemic adverse reactions.
- Embryo-Fetal Toxicity: TERLIVAZ may cause fetal harm when administered to a pregnant woman. If TERLIVAZ is used during pregnancy, the patient should be informed of the potential risk to the fetus.
- The most common adverse reactions (≥10%) include abdominal pain, nausea, respiratory failure, diarrhea, and dyspnea.
Siggi Olafsson, President and Chief Executive Officer, said, “The FDA approval of Terlivaz is a significant milestone for Mallinckrodt as it brings an important treatment option to these critically ill patients requiring hospitalization and to U.S. physicians who historically have had limited treatment interventions.We’re excited to bring Terlivaz to U.S. patients and physicians and plan to launch the product in the coming weeks. This approval reflects Mallinckrodt’s continued commitment to underserved patients and their caregivers through our demonstrated expertise and dedication to developing therapeutics for critical conditions.”
Terlipressin is recommended by the American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases (AASLD) guidance and the American College of Gastroenterology (ACG) guidelines.*,Terlipressin is one of the most studied pharmacological agents in HRS with more than 70 published manuscripts and presented abstracts on clinical data to date. It has been approved outside the U.S. for more than 30 years and is available on five continents for its indications in the countries where it is approved.
Steven Romano, M.D., Executive Vice President and Chief Scientific Officer at Mallinckrodt said, “Diagnosing and treating HRS can be challenging, and every minute counts when managing patients who have it. Terlivaz gives U.S. physicians the first FDA-approved option for treating HRS patients with rapid reduction in kidney function that may help them improve kidney function and lessen the associated need for renal replacement therapy, such as dialysis.”
The most commonly observed adverse reactions in at least 4 percent of patients treated with Terlivaz compared to placebo were abdominal pain reported in 19.5 percent (n=39) of patients (vs. 6.1%; n=6), nausea reported in 16 percent (n=32) of patients (vs. 10.1%; n=10), respiratory failure reported in 15.5 percent (n=31) of patients (vs. 7.1%; n=7) diarrhea reported in 13 percent (n=26) of patients (vs. 7.1%; n=7) and dyspnea reported in 12.5 percent (n=25) of patients (vs. 5.1%; n=5)
About Hepatorenal Syndrome (HRS)
Hepatorenal syndrome (HRS) involving rapid reduction in kidney function is an acute and life-threatening condition that occurs in people with advanced liver disease. HRS is classified into two distinct types – a rapidly progressive type that leads to acute renal failure where patients are typically hospitalized for their care and a more chronic type that progresses over weeks to months. HRS involving rapid reduction in kidney function is estimated to affect between 30,000 and 40,000 Americans annually. If left untreated, HRS with rapid reduction in kidney function has a median survival time of approximately two weeks and greater than 80 percent mortality within three months.
Mallinckrodt is a global business consisting of multiple wholly owned subsidiaries that develop, manufacture, market and distribute specialty pharmaceutical products and therapies. The company’s Specialty Brands reportable segment’s areas of focus include autoimmune and rare diseases in specialty areas like neurology, rheumatology, hepatology, nephrology, pulmonology, ophthalmology, and oncology; immunotherapy and neonatal respiratory critical care therapies; analgesics; cultured skin substitutes and gastrointestinal products. Its Specialty Generics reportable segment includes specialty generic drugs and active pharmaceutical ingredients.
- AgroPat Lite– Access 5500 pesticides with chemistry, Biology, Regulatory, and IP info. Covers the product information including formulation, combination, developer, innovator, existing intellectual property, regulatory requirement, biology data including spectrum, MOA, DFU, toxicity profile, and safety. (Designed for Business Development function)
- AgroPat Ultimate– In detailed Access 5500 pesticides with chemistry, Biology, Regulatory, and IP info. (Designed for Research & Development function)
- Indian Medicine Database –Approved Drugs, Medical Devices, Approved Regenerative Medical Products
- Weblink: https://imd.chemrobotics.com/
- Indian Pesticide Database (IPD)– All Indian Approvals, e.g. 9(3) and 9(4), etc.
- Global Agro Product Directory(More than 55countries approved product info. with relevant documents such as label, factsheet and monograph)
- Weblink: https://www.chemrobotics.com/pesticides-directory/
- Global MRL Database(More than 85 countries MRL info.)
- Jarvis– A Competitor Patents Watch Database for Agrochemical
- Technical Routes(More than 15000 routes of synthesis for Agrochemical & Pharmaceutical)
- Technical Suppliers(Provides technical supplier information)
- Company Directory– KSM Supplier(s) Database — More than 10 K Companies listed from Pharma / Agrochemical / Fine Chemical Domain with their product offering in Pharma / Agrochemical / Fine Chemical segment,
- Weblink: https://companydirectory.chemrobotics.com
- ChemRobotics SPC Database– Provides Patent SPC data Europe
- PharmVetPat –Access chemistry including ROS, KSM, Intermediate, Biology, Regulatory, and IP info for all pharm molecules.
- Weblink: https://chemroboticspharma.com/pharmVetPat