- GSK plc announced it has completed the acquisition of Sierra Oncology, Inc. (Sierra Oncology), a California-based biopharmaceutical company focused on targeted therapies for the treatment of rare forms of cancer.
- The acquisition of Sierra Oncology includes Momelotinib, a late-stage potential new medicine
- The acquisition was approved by Sierra Oncology’s shareholders on 29 June 2022.
As previously announced, the acquisition of Sierra Oncology includes momelotinib, a late-stage potential new medicine with a unique dual mechanism of action that may address the critical unmet medical needs of myelofibrosis patients with anaemia. In addition, momelotinib complements GSK’s Blenrep (belantamab mafodotin); the acquisition builds on the company’s expertise in haematology and aligns with GSK’s strategy of building a strong portfolio of specialty medicines and vaccines. If approved, momelotinib will contribute to GSK’s growing specialty medicines business, with a US launch anticipated in 2023.
Luke Miels, Chief Commercial Officer, GSK, said: “This acquisition expands our innovative oncology portfolio, demonstrating our commitment to improving patient outcomes and creating value for shareholders. We now have a late-stage differentiated molecule in momelotinib, which could potentially address a significant unmet need in myelofibrosis patients with anaemia. Our focus is now on execution.”
In June 2022, Sierra Oncology presented the complete data from the MOMENTUM phase III trial at the 2022 American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO) Annual Meeting. The trial met all its primary and key secondary endpoints, demonstrating that momelotinib achieved a statistically significant and clinically meaningful benefit on symptoms, splenic response, and anaemia. Sierra Oncology submitted a New Drug Application to the US Food and Drug Administration in June, and GSK anticipates a regulatory submission in Europe in the second half of 2022.
Upon completion of the acquisition, GSK acquired all outstanding shares of Sierra Oncology for $55 per share in cash, representing an approximate total equity value of $1.9 billion (£1.6 billion at current exchange rates). The per-share price represented a premium of approximately 39 per cent to Sierra Oncology’s closing stock price on 12 April 2022 and approximately 63 per cent to Sierra’s volume-weighted average price (VWAP) over the last 30 trading days.
Myelofibrosis is a rare blood cancer that results from dysregulated JAK-STAT signalling and is characterised by constitutional symptoms, splenomegaly (enlarged spleen) and progressive anaemia. From prior studies with momelotinib, we know approximately half of myelofibrosis patients are moderately to severely anaemic when eligible for JAK inhibitor treatment. Furthermore, currently approved JAK inhibitors only address symptoms and splenomegaly and are myelosuppressive. This can lead to worsening anaemia, resulting in dose reductions that potentially reduce treatment effect.
GSK in oncology
GSK is focused on maximising patient survival through transformational medicines. GSK’s pipeline is focused on immuno-oncology, cell therapy, tumor cell targeting therapies and synthetic lethality. Our goal is to achieve a sustainable flow of new treatments based on a diversified portfolio of investigational medicines utilising modalities such as small molecules, antibodies, antibody-drug conjugates and cell therapy, either alone or in combination.
GlaxoSmithKline (GSK) is one of the world’s largest research-based pharmaceutical companies that that discovers, develops, manufactures and markets human health products. It is an innovative company that produces branded products only, which it has developed itself. Glaxo Laboratories was incorporated as a distinct subsidiary company in London in 1935
- AgroPat Lite– Access 5500 pesticides with chemistry, Biology, Regulatory, and IP info. Covers the product information including formulation, combination, developer, innovator, existing intellectual property, regulatory requirement, biology data including spectrum, MOA, DFU, toxicity profile, and safety. (Designed for Business Development function)
- AgroPat Ultimate– In detailed Access 5500 pesticides with chemistry, Biology, Regulatory, and IP info. (Designed for Research & Development function)
- Indian Medicine Database –Approved Drugs, Medical Devices, Approved Regenerative Medical Products
- Weblink: https://imd.chemrobotics.com/
- Indian Pesticide Database (IPD)– All Indian Approvals, e.g. 9(3) and 9(4), etc.
- Global Agro Product Directory(More than 55countries approved product info. with relevant documents such as label, factsheet and monograph)
- Weblink: https://www.chemrobotics.com/pesticides-directory/
- Global MRL Database(More than 85 countries MRL info.)
- Jarvis– A Competitor Patents Watch Database for Agrochemical
- Technical Routes(More than 15000 routes of synthesis for Agrochemical & Pharmaceutical)
- Technical Suppliers(Provides technical supplier information)
- Company Directory– KSM Supplier(s) Database — More than 10 K Companies listed from Pharma / Agrochemical / Fine Chemical Domain with their product offering in Pharma / Agrochemical / Fine Chemical segment,
- Weblink: https://companydirectory.chemrobotics.com
- ChemRobotics SPC Database– Provides Patent SPC data Europe
- PharmVetPat –Access chemistry including ROS, KSM, Intermediate, Biology, Regulatory, and IP info for all pharm molecules.